Refashion Men's Polo to Casual Top

Good morning dear reader!
Love ya. 
Can't talk. 
We are finally leaving Houston and it is my job to pack everything in our apartment! It is so hard when all I want to do is reply to the amazing bloggers who emailed me about my post yesterday. New designs are already rolling in my mind!
Today is the last refashion tutorial for August! So exciting - I was inspired by Merrick for this project. It was the first one I ever did and it is by far my favorite. I wear it all the time. In fact, I'm wearing it right now.
Tutorial after the jump!


First, find a men's polo - make sure you like the material because the fit is going to change drastically. Follow the steps of all my other projects and cut the collar off. Also cut a lower neck out of the back of the shirt that is actually going to turn into your front.
Pin some material back on the neck, be sure to leave it separated where the buttons come apart.
Flip the neck back in so that the seam is hidden and lightly sew around the edge one more time for a finished look!
Now follow the steps of fitting my other garments by turning it inside out, putting it on, and pinning where you want the sides/arms to come in. Zig zag stitch along this line on both sides and then trim off the excess material. You can use the same technique from the neck to finish the bottom or just cut it off!
This shirt is so comfy.
Remember, if you want to join in with my pre-blog design service and get some work done for a highly discounted rate just email me! I'm trying to build my portfolio before officially offering this service!
One thing I forgot to mention is please, only blogger platforms right now. I want to expand to Wordpress but I don't currently use it so I'm not as familiar.

Refashion High Low Top

Remember this sailor dress (and my super awesome posing) from last week's before? I got two refashions out of that sucker! Last week I used the top part of the oversized-Shirley-Temple-dress to make a cute polka dot button up. I couldn't toss those sweet bottom ruffles! I decided to match them up with an over-sized white boxy top for a cute high-low blouse.
Tutorial after the jump.


Just like all first steps I started out by seem-ripping the sleeves and shoulder pads out. I always like starting with a clean canvas.
I slipped the sleeveless top on and measured how far I needed to trim the sides. After quickly sewing a straight line down both sides I followed the same method as the Peplum Floral Top and cut the front and back into a snake-like arc.
Luckily the top tier skirt was already the perfect size for just enough flow. All I had to do was match the edges to the scalloped cute and sew it back on! I forgot to get a picture of the sleeves but I put them on the same way I have with all my other tutorials!

Refashion Polka Dot Button Up

Well, August may be going by fast, but it also means that today is another refashion post! I had the best mom growing up - she always had a gigantic bin of costume pieces for us to play with and I know this dress would have fit right in! 
I kindof couldn't believe this sailor dress when I found it at the local thrift shop. It was huge and ruffle and polka-dotty and had the biggest buttons that were only complete with the fake pocket hanky on the side. (Ignore the goofy pose in the before photo.) At first I picked it off the rack as a joke. Then I realized the fabric was pretty nice and I loved the colors. 
Now it's refashioned and I'm proud to wear it!
(more after the jump...)

You've probably noticed by now that I start all of my refashions the same way the Property Brothers do when they tackle a home project: gutting it. First I ripped off the buttons, the fake pocket, and the shoulder pads. The neck and shoulders had enough potential to keep the sleeves attached.
Second, I took off the bottom ruffles and stored them for next week's project. I laid a well-fitting top over the inside-out bodice and lightly marked and pinned where I needed to take it in.
After the shirt was pinned along the edge of my desired size I just sewed up each side, around the armhole and down to the arm opening before cutting the excess material. Easy as pie! I found a few smaller buttons and sewed them in place and called it good!